Sep 8, 2007

Word of the day (W.o.t.D.) - 8 September

I'm thinking about starting a daily habit : finding out and posting here a funny, strange or out-of-the-ordinary word and it's meaning...I'll try to keep this up every day, that is, if I don't forget about you guys or go to a deserted island in the middle of the Pacific and start my own nudist colony...wow, that's a nice thought...anyway, back to today's W.o.t.D.

Because I used it in an earlier post, I guess...

PWN (verb)

1. An act of dominating an opponent.
2. Great, ingenious; applied to methods and objects.

Originally dates back to the days of WarCraft, when a map designer mispelled "Own" as "Pwn". What was originally supose to be "player has been owned." was "player has been pwned". Pwn eventually grew from there and is now used throughout the online world, especially in online games.

Other Uses : Pwning, Pwnage, Pwned (past tense), Pwnt (past tense).

Examples :

1. "I pwn these guys on battlenet" or "AHHA! I PWN JOOR N00B A%^ES!!" (- censored due to the PG nature of this blog...)
2. "This strategy pwns!" or "This game pwns."

The term was one of 16 to appear on the 2006 "List of Words and Phrases Banished from the Queen's English for Misuse, Overuse and General Uselessness," released annually by Lake Superior State University. You can check the other 15 words and the explanations here. Hilarious!

Here are some suggesive pictures, exemplifying the meaning of the newly-learnt W.o.t.D. :


It's getting kinda late here, so I'm calling it a night. See you tomorrow, hopefully with some more "Pwned" pics, for us to try to truly grasp the meaning of the word...'Night!

P.S. "J00 r t3h pwnz0rd!" ™®

0 comments: