Dec 2, 2007

Euro 2008 draw -> Group of Death

Today, the Euro 2008 groups have been drawn. They look like this:



Perfect...just perfect! It is INCREDIBLE how the draw created such a "Group of death" that nobody had anticipated was possible. What easier teams than France, Italy and Holland to meet at the tournament? Here's what the coaches had to say about the draw of Group C:

FRANCE

Coach Raymond Domenech:

"I have to say the way the seedings are worked out is madness. Not to have Italy, as the world champions, in the first pot is crazy. I would have also preferred to have played in Austria and not Switzerland because we would have been hassled less. I am not happy, nothing I wanted has worked out.

"In fact, I don't think we're the happiest four coaches here after the draw and the way it worked out. We would love to have avoided the three other teams but now we've got it we'll have to deal with it."

NETHERLANDS

Coach Marco van Basten:

"At the last World Cup we were already in the 'group of death'. I don't know what we're going to call this one. We're playing the finalists of the last World Cup so we'll have to make sure we're very well prepared.

"I think everything went normally and legally in the draw so what can you say?"

ITALY

Coach Roberto Donadoni:

"We didn't have an easy qualification group and we haven't been lucky here either. I had a gut feeling on the way here it would turn out like this, but you cannot change the rules and when you get to a final, every opponent is tough.

"I spoke with Marco before the draw and told him I thought we were going to play each other and thats the way its worked out. We have to meet France again which is tough -- but every past match is history. We now look forward to the next game."

ROMANIA

Coach Victor Piturca:

"For us it's a very nice, easy group. We're up against the world champions, the World Cup runners-up and Holland, who we know are very good. I hope it will be an extraordinary experience and why shouldn't we be one of the teams to make it through to the quarter-finals?"

0 comments: